By using this site, you agree with our cookies usage in accordance with our cookies policy. You can always disable cookies in your browser settings.



CRRC is preparing for the first export delivery of high-speed trains to Indonesia

5 August 2022
Reading time ~ 3 min
KCIC400AF high-speed trains on the tracks of the CRRC plant in Qingdao
KCIC400AF high-speed trains on the tracks of the CRRC plant in Qingdao. Source:
Litvintsova Olga, Editor of International Projects, ROLLINGSTOCK Agency
Reading time ~ 3 min
Stolchnev Alexey, Russian Projects Editor, ROLLINGSTOCK Agency

Indonesia: The new rolling stock is to be sent to the country between August and September for operation on the Jakarta-Bandung high-speed line, which is expected to start next year. CRRC’s Qingdao plant in China has completed production and testing of a fleet of 11 KCIC400AF eight-car trains and one KCIC400AF-CIT inspection train. This contract is the first export delivery of high-speed trains for CRRC.

The manufacturer claims that the KCIC400AF train is capable to reach speed of 350 km/h and to pass curves with a minimum radius of 150 m. Ut is equipped with 16 YJ302A electric motors, each with a power of 625 kW. The KCIC400AF series, also known as CR400AF, is based on the Fuxing high-speed train platform, which was launched in production in 2015. The CRRC emphasizes that a specific modification of the train for Indonesia was adapted to the tropical climate, and is also equipped with an improved security system that has the ability to track earthquakes, floods and other emergency conditions. It is stated that the cars will be divided into three classes (VIP, first and second) and several cars with large spaces between seats will be allocated for passengers with limited mobility. The length of the eight-car train will be 208.9 m.

The contract for the supply of 11 KCIC400AF trains worth $364.5 mln was awarded to CRRC in April 2017. The 142.3 km Jakarta-Bandung line was originally expected to open in 2019. However, its later opening was delayed until June 2023. The delay was due to disputes that involved land purchases and environmental issues. After the completion of the project, the travel time from Jakarta to Bandung will be reduced from the current 3 hours to 40 minutes.

KCIC400AF high-speed train on trials in China. Source: shi12jun,

It is worth noting that the construction of the line is being carried out by a consortium of Indonesian and Chinese companies Kereta Cepat Indonesia-China (KCIC) and financed by a loan from the China Development Bank for 75%. The remaining 25% is the consortium’s own funds. The total cost of the project exceeds $7.8 bln. In the tender for the project, China competed with Japan. Initially, in 2011, Japan estimated the project at $6.5 bln, but after receiving a lower price application from China, it reduced its offer to $6.2 bln and promised to complete the line in 2026, while expressing its readiness to invest 75% of its cost. However, in 2015, the contract was signed with China.

The start of dynamic train testing with the participation of Indonesian President Joko Widodo and Chinese President Xi Jinping as part of the G20 summit will take place in November this year.